High School Career
- Garfield High School Graduate 1950
- 5 Varsity Letters earned 4 letters in basketball under Coach Hollis as a starting point guard during both his junior and senior year.
- During John’s senior year he scored over 100 points to lead Garfield to the PVC and Section IV finals
- John also received PVC honors in baseball as the starting catcher 1949 & 1950 playing under Coach DeVito
- John was inducted into the Garfield Hall of Fame in 1995
- John entered Tusculum College in 1950 and lettered in Football and basketball
- He then transferred to Bowling Green University and twice lettered in football and earned Little All American recognition.
- John earned his Master Degree from Montclair State University in 1973.
- John received his degree from Bowling Green University in Health and Physical Education
- He taught and coached Garfield High School from 1954 - 1987
- He also served as Master of Ceremonies for the Hall of Fame for 18 years until his death in 2001.
- His contribution to the to the athletic program at Garfield High School is evidenced by the number of his former students that have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- He was a Sussex County Republican committeeman and a Vernon Valley Lake Trustee for 30 years. He also was President of the Vernon Township Viking Club and in 1997 he was the Vernon Township Senior Citizen of the year. Additionally, John was a commissioner of the Sussex County Crime Stoppers and a member of the Sussex County Peace Officers Association.
- John was married to Andrea “Bunny” Cocula and has a daughter Michelle and one granddaughter Lauren.